Saturday, December 27, 2008

MIUSE OF HETEROLINEA

This is the part where the sensorium undergoes all of the physical sensations that produce the effect known as the instinct to justify existence:

A Heteroline is a poem in which no two adjacent lines or stanzas share a line or sentence. While not a connoisseur of forms or even a wet foot for the Heteroline...felt that it best represented an impulse that motivates one or more of my possible life projects.

There is a love with difference and seeking out difference. This love is fundamental to what I am—there, the pronoun was used, it was said… ergh! Even my narcissism encompasses this love, as I still share a fundamental belief that the human being is a super malleable and, to some extent, even groundless substance. At the same time, who has the luxury or ability to recognize this malleability? Even our individual bodies, those little units persistently demanding a 24/7 act from the instincts of what we so openly recognize as “self preservation”, are shaped like the I, but it’s really the i. Every human interlocutor demanding one's mental and physical attention imposes a need for a single, discrete and discriminate subject-object of identification. There is no way to get around it. This is only an aesthetic and not existential tragedy. “I” am a beautiful word and letter”. There is no problem here in admitting that. Grammar just may be the ultimate enforcer of the I’s mixed-blessed limitations.

I thought I would try to frame things in such a way that give the reader a seldom written particular kind of subjectivity. That’s kind of what I’m in search of, a radical subjectivity. Given that search, hopefully you can get beyond any previous appearance of convoluted and superfluous statements.

With dumb stubborn luck, the above sentiments will be given continuous if not contiguous allusion in all future posts. Even in the attempt to write about all of my preoccupations, hobbies and flirtations (Fiction, Poetry, Politics, Latin America, literary criticism, Post colonial Literature, health care reform, imperialism and anti imperialism, music, art, neuroscience, philosophy, certain objects of sexual desire, certain objects of familial and platonic desire).

This is to say nothing about disease I manage which no doubt contributes to this POV. Things are different when you start puberty at 19. This is why I can have so little regard for others’ insecurities about physical features (you know, open pores, love handles, fatt asses, bald heads, facial moles, bucked teeth and the like) and can speak with sincere --can you believe it, there is no decent antonym to “ironic”-- pride about a sexual proclivity I may have. Adversity, difference, conflict. All of these things are much easier to embrace in the condition stated above. I refer to it as “condition” because I know that there are so many other ways of being to which I have no access. Not for lack of trying, it’s just that there is something more permanent than a state.

There it is for now,
Creed J Shepard
Member of the Informal United States Empire (MIUSE)
Madison, Wisconsin
12-27-08

No comments:

Post a Comment