Friday, January 2, 2009

No pimping mercy here




the eyes saw the first Ämerican¨ tourist today at the Guate Museo de Arte Moderno. He started talking to me in Spanish which sort of stroked my ego. He wanted my opinion on the painting that you see to the right. We were interpeting it together. the image of the lady pointing didn´t make sense to him him. he was not offended necessarily, but he said that the painting must not be very Catholic. He said it in such way that sounded like he wasn´t catholic and the thought occurred that perhaps he was of the Evangelicals (they claim about 40% of the country now)the notion of abortion was not too far from the embodied mind. After thinking about an earlier breakfast conversation with jessica´s aunt and grandma, in which my atheism was made known to them (they asked for my afiliation), an eagerness to contradict this gentleman´s interpretation kicked the Spanish tongue into gear¨: ¨No Señor. Mi Amiga quien es muy Catolica me dijo que la pintura es muy bonita!¨

After getting a verbal testimony from Telma straight to the man we left it at that. Gorgeous symbolism if you ask me. A symbol within a symbol: the birth is the crucifixion and the suffering pity the saviour. My Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory is at hand but a description of this kind of symbolism was not found. If anyone has a word for, be it belonging to the isms, ymns, lets, oches or anything--lemmeknow

No comments:

Post a Comment